Who We Are
Mission, Vision & Beliefs
Learning Forward Virginia, formerly the Virginia Staff Development Council, was established in 2003 as an affiliate of Learning Forward, formerly the National Staff Development Council. In 2010, by a vote of the membership, the name of this organization was changed to Learning Forward Virginia. Virginia changed its affiliate name to match the name change enacted by the National Staff Development Council (NSDC) in 2009 when NSDC became Learning Forward.
Our MissionWe are dedicated to connecting educators with information, strategies, and best practices that demonstrate high expectations and produce positive results for all students and staff.
Our VisionAll educators in the Commonwealth of Virginia will experience high-quality professional learning as part of their daily work to ensure high levels of student success.
- Effective professional learning is fundamental to student learning.
- All educators have an obligation to improve their practice.
- Students achieve when educators assume collective responsibility for student learning.
- Sustainable learning cultures require skillful leadership.
- Improving student learning and professional practice requires ongoing systemic and organizational change.
- Student learning increases when educators reflect on professional practice and student progress.