Successful Leaders Create and Sustain a Culture of Learning
LEARNING FORWARD VIRGINIA PRESENTS
EQUITY IN ACTION: Summer Institute
June 29 – 30, 2020
Workshop: 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
6801 Bridgeway Dr. – Suite C
Suffolk, VA 23435
Cost: $250 (for both days)
Lunch and all workshop materials are included in the registration fee.
Who Should Attend:
K-12 Educators, Coaches/Specialists, School/Central Office Admin
Day 1 – Monday, June 29
Facilitating Critical Conversations
- Identify strategies and resources to create a positive and respectful learning environment where critical conversations can take place.
- Reflect on personal assumptions and learned biases and recognize their impact on classroom practice.
- Develop skills and confidence for engaging in and facilitating conversations about race and other critical topics.
Day 2 – Tuesday, June 30
Social Justice Teaching 101
- Incorporate the Teaching Tolerance Social Justice Standards to create and sustain classroom and school environments that honor diversity, equity and justice;
- Speak up—and teach students to speak up-against bias and injustice;
- Build a collaborative and respectful learning community with a diverse group of learners and educators.
Facilitated by Valeria Brown – Teaching Tolerance (Southern Poverty Law Center)
Valeria (Val) Brown is a professional development trainer with Teaching Tolerance where she designs, facilitates and evaluates anti-bias professional development for educators across the country. Val has also worked in the public K-12 education and higher education sectors as a teacher, instructional coach, district administrator and professional learning specialist.